Lessons From Old Dogs

From our Key West correspondant, Howard Livingston

Lessons From Old Dogs

Hi Friends,

Ester our Portuguese water dog is 14 ½ years old. She is lying on the couch next to me as I write this and I realize how many lessons an old dog can teach us. She is not as quick as she once was but there is wisdom in her eyes that was not there before. She has taught me how to slow down and relax. No matter how crazy things are around her, Ester travels at the same pace. She just looks up at me as to say "Dad, what's the hurry? Did you see a coconut fell over there? Let's go check it out." She has also taught me how special time is. I have mentioned previously how it is somehow not fair how a dog's life is so much shorter than ours. The seven to one thing just does not make sense. I don't like it at all. But through this journey we get a look at our own life and in some ways it goes by just as fast. It seems like just a blink of an eye when I was a little kid and I am sure years from now I will fondly remember what a great time I had in 2011.

Ester has also taught me to always look at the beauty around me. She always positions herself facing the water before she lies down. On our porch she perches as to see the beautiful bay, outside she generally has her front paws laying into the pool. She does not take for granted for one second where she is and how beautiful it is.

We will have a new puppy someday and I so hope Ester is still around to pass along all of her wisdom to the little one as she has done with me.

Well, I think it's time for Ester and I to go outside and for me to continue my lessons learned.

Everyone have a wonderful week and if you are in the Keys we would love to see you. Below is our schedule for the next couple of weeks.
 
Until our paths cross, may the tide always pull you back.
 
Howie
 
Upcoming schedule
Wednesday, April 27th 6:00 – 8:00 PM Key West Songwriters Festival   We are honored to perform at the Kick Off Party hosted by GAC-TV's Storme Warren at the Ocean Key Resort – Sunset Pier. Grammy nominated singer/songwriter James Slater will be joining us. James is the author of number one songs such as Unstoppable recorded by Rascal Flatts, In My Daughters Eyes recorded by Martina McBride, and the list goes on and on. Our Wednesday concert is free and open to the public.  If you're into music it does not get any better than the Songwriters Festival, which spans from April 27th through Sunday May 1st. Over 100 performers, 30 shows and 25 stages.   For information visit http://www.kwswf.com/ <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=11723433&msgid=281466&act=UDC2&c=168751&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kwswf.com%2F>
Friday April 29th   5:30 – 7:00 PM Celebrity Bartending at the Bottlecap Lounge 1128 Simonton Street Key West I will be one of the celebrity bartenders for Zonta