Shore Staff Bios: Big Papa

Name: Warren A. Harman AKA “Big Papa”

Born: Fort Belvoir - Alexandria, VA

Raised: Rochester, NY
Current Residence: ESCAPE KEY – A treasure safely hidden off the coast of Florida…

Thousand Islands region - Northern Coast of NY along the Canadian Caribbean


How long a Parrot head?
I bought “Fins” when it first came out as a single. My college professor and mentor insisted I listen to bootlegged Buffett concerts during his office hours. While working for Corning Glass, I listened to Buffett mixes all night long and began to explore the deeper cuts. Met more parrot heads when I ran a bar on a Raquette River island in the Adirondacks. Open Mic nights had many of us hummin’ and strummin’ “Margaritaville,” “A Pirate Looks at Forty” and “Southern Cross.” My favorite Buffett songs are “That’s What Livin’ Is To Me” and “Coast of Carolina” – but it changes daily! I attended MOTM in 2010 and met so many amazing people that I would love to be able to go every year. Maybe next year?

My Favorite Drink?
My dirty little secret is that I love a drink or three but due to a bizarre inner ear condition, I am limited in what I can consume. If it going to be a rum night, I like a virgin Cuba Libre with lemon, and make it a diet. My favorite summer drink is grapefruit and cranberry juice in a pint glass – gotta have a drink umbrella in the straw. As a former bartender, I love to make Malibu and Pineapple, Bloody Marys and any drink in a shaker. Any tap beer will do but I lean toward the darker brews. I heard a millionaire say, “I only like two kinds of beer: Budweiser and Free.” Playing in a band, I can relate!

Musical Secret?
I tried and failed to learn to play the fiddle. “Boil Them Cabbage Down” was enough to send our cat running for the basement. Some of you know this but I am nearly deaf in my left ear due to my bizarre inner ear issues with vertigo. OH – and I prefer music in mono…

Boxers or Briefs?
These holey things are so dang comfy but I really need some new underwear. TMI? I wonder if I would look like these models if I buy meundies. https://www.meundies.com/ Next Wave Radio Sponsor? Hmmm…

Last Book Read?
Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey. I also like all of Rod Reisel’s books – ESPECIALLY the Dan Coast Novels.

Experiences I Don’t Remember:
As a former bartender, there are HUNDREDS of experiences I wish I could forget. These experiences lead to me writing the song, “Help Me Forget.” Come on brain, you have to have a delete key!

A Musician that Celebrates Life:
I started playing mom’s acoustic guitar at age 10 and went on to learn bass, drums, keyboards and ukulele over the next four decades. The next chapter in this crazy life will include steel drums. I have done college radio, wedding DJ/MC, announced for sporting events, and played in a couple cover bands.

Big Papa & The Escape Key Band:
The Escape Key Band was developed when limited access to any local trop rock musicians made it difficult to get a band started. The combination of acoustic guitar teamed with backing tracks made it possible to be a solo act playing as a full band. Eventually the backing tracks were replaced by musician friends sitting in playing guitar or hand drums.  I completed the BP&EKB debut trop rock album, “Big Escape” in March of 2015 (www.bigpapaescape.com). During that timeframe I met up with Trop Rock DJ Don Da Pyrate Winfield at a Boat Drunks concert. Upon Don’s recommendation, The “Big Papa Show from Escape Key” demo was sent to The Shore for approval. Big Papa suddenly had a weekly show and daily spots highlighting new music on “The Next Wave.” What a long strange trip it’s been.

CELEBRATE LIFE - This ain’t no dress rehearsal!