So, where do those great songs come from?

This weekend is officially Dani Hoy Weekend on Shore Life Radio. Throughout the weekend we'll be doing our part to help Dani celebrate the release of her third disc, "At the End of A Long Road" by playing Dani's self produced CD Release Show featuring Dani herself telling the stories behind the songs. She did a masterful job and we thought we'd post the text of the show here. Listen to Shore Life all weekend as we'll be playing the show multiple times

Friday @ 9am, 3pm and 9pm
Saturday @ 9am, 3pm and 7pm
Sunday @ 9am, 3pm and 7pm

Dani's first single from the disc, "Escape" is also in rotation so hit the request page and have at it.


Hi there! This is Dani Hoy and I'm here to present my new CD to you.

It's called At the End of A Long Road and contains five new original songs.

Officially arriving on my doorstep July 20th, this is my third CD Release since my first release, TropiGal, came out in 2012. It will be available through links on my website, dani hoy dot com, and also from your favorite sources for music such as CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, Spotify and many more.

You can also purchase TropiGal and my last CD Songs of Love and the Ocean from those same sources as well.

All of the songs on the CD were written by me. The music was produced in studio by Kevin Johnston at Orca Sound Studio in Maryland. Kevin got together three awesome musicians for the music track. Dave Roe, on bass, played for Johnny Cash in the 90's before The Man in Black passed on. He and guitar player, Kenny Vaughn, also work with Lucinda Williams who is an influence on my songwriting. Kenny is also the guitarist for Marty Stuart. Drummer Jerry Roe has performed with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, among others. Throw in some Kevin on keyboards, percussion and concertina and Rob Thorworth on acoustic guitars and you've got some amazing music. It was a pleasure to sing to the studio tracks for the vocal recording.

At the End of the Long Road is a road trip, so buckle up and let's get started.

Escape
The first song on this CD is Escape. It's a song about leaving the cold north and heading south with your best friends to the islands and finding summer.

I was reading a blog before writing this song. Reading blogs can offer inspirational ideas and this particular one was on trends in songwriting. One of the trends was in one word song titles. If you notice there have been recent popular songs with a single word that is evocative, such as "Home" or "Happy." I thought to myself, "What word would I use?" Escape leaped immediately to mind.

I had already been working on a chord progression that I liked and it had a great feel to it. After that it's a matter of figuring out the chorus and where the song will take you. "It's time to escape." Escape what? How?

The song begins with the usual complaint against the cold of winter and the plan to pack clothes and pick up friends for an exciting drive south toward summer. Recently snow storms have been given names of Greek and Roman gods so "Astro, Gorgon, Remus and Juno" are the storm gods that are driving our character in the song southward. From there the song progresses through the verses and chorus to bring us state line to state line into the south, to the islands, and summer.

I hope you enjoy this song and it helps you escape. Here it is.

Back Country Pontoon Party

Welcome back. The next song on my CD is called Back Country Pontoon Party.

Here in the Keys we live on a string of archipelago islands made of coral rock. We live on a reef. It's a tenuous relationship with weather and wildlife, exotic and beautiful.

One of the absolute best things you can do when you visit the Keys is to go out on the water, whether it be a kayak, paddle board, personal water craft or boat. It's an amazing experience.

Last year a group of friends and I took several excursions out on a pontoon rental boat, first to Picnic Island, which is close to Big Pine Key, and then to Marvin Key which is northwest of Sugarloaf Key. Both Picnic Island and Marvin Key are uninhabited but desirable to go to because of the sandbar.

A sandbar is an area of beach that appears and disappears with the tides. Boaters of all kinds load up their water crafts with food, drinks, floatation devices, snorkel gear, etc., and motor out to the sandbar to hang out in the warm, shallow water and just relax. Oh yea. They also bring their dogs with them.

The company we rented from is called Back County Boat Rentals. Find them on Facebook. You can rent their double decker pontoon with the double slides off the back for a whole or half a day. While sitting up top on one trip out I thought, "Back Country Pontoon Party." I had a chorus pretty quickly. "A boatin' floatin' good time." It was. I took this chorus home with me and came up with the rest.

Enjoy Back Country Pontoon Party! See you afterwards for the next song.

Not Enough Rum

Not Enough Rum is a song about rum and not having enough of it. Ha ha. Really, it's a country song about about loneliness and separation. And rum.

I was traveling when the idea came to me about someone sitting in a bar while on the road, thinking about a distant lover. The singer is in a "sad little place on the lost end of town. Adrift in a bottle of Captain Morgan…" Being apart for long periods of time, not knowing how things will turn out. Rum isn't helping to wash away the pain. My ship, she has capsized. I've run aground. I used a familiar pattern for the music, three quarter time, something more wistful. Waltz time is great for that. Think of "Tennessee Waltz" and the John Prine song "Paradise."

The song comes back full circle and the singer is leaving for some other location, vowing to sail with the Captain until they have drown.

Not Enough Rum. Thanks for listening!

Coffee Drinking Girl

OK, we're back. I'm Dani Hoy and you're listening to my new CD, At the End of A Long Road.

By the way, I love coffee. I have a couple of cups each morning, relishing the hot, black beverage as I check Facebook and my Gmail. I don't put anything in it. I prefer the full bodied flavor, strong and bold, no sugar or cream, please. If you make it right, it doesn't need any enhancement. That means good cold water, freshly ground beans, heaping scoops of coffee into the filter.

Coffee Drinking Girl is about a girl who is sure of herself. Bold and robust as her cup of coffee. She don't mess around but she's a lot of fun. High energy, for sure. She could fly around the world with all that caffeine in her.

The song is in blues form, upbeat and energetic, like the drink. Hope you enjoy it!

Status

Finally, we have Status.

This song is very different for me. It's a dark blues tune, introspective, a look at direction. "Traveling down this road to me." Life is full of self discovery, change and regret. A life without these things is hardly a life at all. Have I come to the right place? It's hard to say.

I often choose to write from a deeply personal perspective. At times that can be somewhat confessional but I think it's important to share what's in my heart and on my mind with the listener. We've all been in difficult and unfamiliar territory. We all share that feeling of not knowing if we made the right choice. Being human is to dwell at times in uncertainty.

Give it a listen… The answer lives in a song.

The End

Our little road trip is now at an end. Thank you so much for listening to and I hope you enjoyed my new CD, At the End of A Long Road. The CD will be available beginning July 20th, 2016, and features the five songs you've just heard. Downloads will be available on iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon, and all of your favorite music sites. You can order At the End of A Long Road and my previous CDs on CD Baby or through my website, Dani Hoy dot com. If you have any questions, contact me at info@danihoy.com

--